Analysis of data is a process of inspecting, cleaning, transforming, and modeling data with the goal of discovering useful information, suggesting conclusions, and supporting decision making. Data analysis has multiple facets and approaches, encompassing diverse techniques under a variety of names, in different business, science, and social science domains. (Wikipedia)
Information analytics is cross-divisional and requires effective partnerships with all Vice Chancellors, Institutional Research, Assessment and Planning (IRAP), business owners and data stewards, enterprise and distributed technical organizations, security teams, and functional offices around operational data management.
The director will organize and convene appropriate governance structures, including a data steward council of vice chancellors to set policies and procedures regarding business definitions of data, access and usage of data, as well as a data management committee to oversee cohesive campus implementation of data steward council policies. The director will work closely with IT personnel across the institution to:
- Lead university wide information analytics projects, developing comprehensive project plans, including work breakdown structure, schedule creation, resource plans, budgeting, communications, and synthesizing of plans across multiple projects
- Manage, guide, mentor, motivate, and lead campus personnel toward accomplishment of project goals.
- Recruit, develop and retain a high performing team responsible for delivery of information analytics, data analysis, and reporting solutions
The director is responsible for an ongoing program that includes defining and executing a campus information analytics strategy, use of collaborations and campus-wide resources, project management functions, facilitating information and data governance, advising senior leadership on direction and resource investments, and designing appropriate policies to manage information risk.
- Design, implement and manage an information analytics and data warehouse platform
- Delivery of information analytics capabilities to ensure that the university has the necessary data and information for ongoing daily operations and strategic planning, including the delivery to campus data users of clear, reliable performance metrics, deriving actionable insight from complex business data, and leveraging data to understand and improve business processes.
- Develop, publish and enforce policies and procedures governing institutional data collection and to coordinate data requirements throughout the university.
- Act as enterprise data quality manager, in appropriate partnership, to ensure that data quality issues are identified, publicized, and addressed
- Lead efforts to consolidate reporting platforms and provide vision for ASU information analytics roadmap of central repository of electronic institutional data, including purchasing process for related technology.