Beginning March 9, 2020, your email@example.com email address will no longer be able to be used as your personal Apple ID for services like Apple Music, Apple Books, iTunes, App Store, Game Center, Apple Arcade, iMessage, FaceTime, News, Find My (iPhone, Mac, iPad), Apple Pay, Apple TV, and iCloud.
WHY IS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICES MAKING THIS CHANGE?
In March of 2019, Apple announced a new service to make the management and deployment of Apple devices on campus easier and better prepared for future growth and new Apple features. After reviewing the technology and weighing the benefits, Information Technology Services determined that we should begin the implementation of this new technology. We then set up a year-long project to make this change.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO IF I AM USING MY APPSTATE EMAIL ADDRESS AS MY PERSONAL APPLE ID?
- If you ARE using your appstate.edu email address for your personal Apple ID, you will need to follow these instructions by March 9, 2020.
- You can update your Apple ID email address with any third-party email address, or you can create an @icloud.com email address. If you create an @icloud.com email address, you might need to wait 30 days before you can use your @icloud.com email address as your primary Apple ID.
- If you are NOT using your appstate.edu email address for your personal Apple ID, then you do not have to do anything.
WHY ARE YOU TELLING US SO EARLY?
- We know this might affect a large number of our users, so in order to lessen the impact, we wanted to give users 6 months notice to change their email before making the switch.
- We will continue to send periodic email reminders until the March 9, 2020 deadline.
- Once the March 9, 2020 deadline hits, users who still have not made the change to a new email address will be forced to change at that time.
WHERE CAN I GO FOR MORE INFORMATION OR IF I HAVE QUESTIONS?
You can view a knowledge base article with a list of frequently asked questions or go to support.appstate.edu for more support options.