Definition: Temporary endeavors to introduce new Appalachian IT Services and implement significant changes to existing Appalachian IT Services. (Source: IT Governance Policy)
Guideline: A project should be an IT Project when:
- There is a significant impact to students, faculty or staff populations and/or extensive change to business processes
- Multiple areas of IT are needed to complete the IT Project, or
- There is a large amount of work (est > 80 person hours) to complete for a new/significant change in IT Service.
Creating an IT Project
IT Governance members request IT Projects. The PMO works with the Office of CIO and stakeholders to determine what IT Acquisitions become IT Projects.
Benefits of an IT Project
- Team focused on Project Success: the IT PMO serves as Project Managers for key campus and division projects, and supports IT Project managers outside of the PMO and project teams with consultative services, templates and the collaborative IT Project platform.
- Consistency: our intake and closure services collect consistent project information to define IT Projects and update the IT service inventory
- Collaboration: IT Projects provide a platform to identify and collaborate on solutions for campus needs and innovate!
- Visibility: Highlighted IT Projects are shared on our Current Projects website. More in depth reports are available to IT staff, campus leadership, and IT Governance groups through itprojects.appstate.edu (Confluence)
The Project Manager supports and integrates the efforts of the project team and stakeholders to successfully complete the project to deliver the sought benefits. The PM:
works with the project team to plan and do the project work,
tracks and manages issues and risks with appropriate decision makers,
communicates project progress to the team, sponsor, and stakeholders,
keeps Project status current and adds a biweekly update to the Jira Project Epic. If the PM doesn't have a Jira license, the PMO (firstname.lastname@example.org) can work with the PM to ensure that the IT Project Epic is updated.
The PM is listed in Jira, our work and project management platform, as the IT Project Epic’s Assignee.
Project Sponsor Contact
One or more people who champion and direct the IT Project, provide resources and support for the project, and help remove obstacles to facilitate the success of the project. The project sponsor endorses the project as a valued investment of organizational resources to deliver the project benefits
Project Discovery Meeting
The IT PMO facilitates project discovery meeting(s) with the project team/sponsor/key stakeholders to:
- Develop the Project Need, Benefit, Approach, Project Completion criteria, and Due Dates
- Review assumptions, timing constraints, any specific obstacles, risks, and dependencies
- Identify IT services impacted by the project and link to the IT Service inventory as needed
- Confirm roles and responsibilities for the implementation project and when any resulting IT Service is operational
- Cover any other issues that the group wants to discuss (e.g., develop vision, high level stories/milestones/tasks to complete the IT Project)
Contact: IT Project Management Office at email@example.com and IT Service Description: IT Project Services